Monday, March 28, 2011

Wonderful Women of March: Carrie H.

Carrie was my 9th grade English teacher. She was wonderful in every way a high school teacher could be, but Carrie went the extra mile for her students.

She was inspiring and was a great motivator when it came to our class writing assignments. She never limited our creativity and never doubted any student's ability to write.

Aside from her basic teacher duties, Carrie made it a point to get to know her students on a more personal level; wanting to create trust and in turn, build some sort of support system.

Personally, Carrie helped me out of a very dark place at that point in my life, and for that I'm so grateful. She believed in me, in my writing, and was always eager to read my material. She encouraged me in ways that I didn't know was possible of a teacher. She made the "personal" aspects of life seem valid and important in such a setting where we were always taught to leave your feelings and emotions "at the door," or to never let them interfere with your education.

Carrie never belittled her students and created a warm and inviting environment to learn in. She has since moved out of the country, and her presence is greatly missed - her past students always speak so highly of her.

Before the end of my freshman year in high school, Carrie gave me a notebook in which she encouraged me to write - and I have. I've almost filled up the entire notebook with my writings and thoughts. She gave me the much needed confidence I was searching for that enabled me to write. I owe her so much more than a simple "thank you."

No comments:

Post a Comment