Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Courtney E. Martin

Tonight, in honor of National Women's History month, the Women's Center on campus, along with the Women's Studies department, showcased Courtney E. Martin as a keynote speaker. Courtney recently authored the book, "Do It Anyway: The New Generation of Activists," and was here to speak about it.I also had the pleasure of meeting her and having an actual conversation! She was so wonderfully down to earth and friendly. I was in complete shock when she didn't walk away right after our introduction and initiated our conversation.

If you haven't read the book, and to be honest, I haven't yet (although I was able to snag a copy and will be starting it tonight!), the main point of her book that she tries to convey is that activism is always ever changing. Activism is a complex project that can be rewarding, yet completely overwhelming at the same time. She goes on to explain that she wrote this book because it was something she needed to read - a resource she claims might in aid in the process of determining how effective one actually is in comparison to their activism.

Courtney made many interesting and thought provoking statements as she profiled eight different people, all of which are the core inspiration for this book she wrote.I won't go into much detail about the people she chose to write about, but I will list them for you.

They are as follows:

Rachel Corrie (International Solidarity Movement)
Maricela Guzman (Service Women's Action Network)
Emily Abt (Pureland Pictures)
Nia Martin Robinson (Environmental Justice Climate Coalition)
Raul Diaz (Homeboy Industries)
Rosario Dawson (Rotolatino/Lower Eastside Girls Club)
Tyrone Bouchan (Resource Generation/Aorta Collective)
Dena Simmons (Urban Society Science Academy)

Along with some general information about each activist, is the lessons in which Courtney has learned from them. Lessons such as:

- We take global suffering personally.
- Self interest is at the heart of some of the most inspired activism.
- The lines between those being served and those serving are being blurred

Not only was Courtney a huge inspiration, but when I was sitting there, I sort of lost myself in her presentation. I felt an odd sense of contentment, as if I knew this is where my soul was; where it's been the entire time - in activism. I left that presentation feeling completely re-energized and invigorated, knowing that I want to do something great with my life, and that every failure I may encounter along the way to greatness, will be a vital part of my success.

Courtney reminded me that, as an activist, I need to focus on what I can accomplish day to day, and that if I were to look at the "big picture," I would be right in feeling a sense of overwhelming helplessness, as one person cannot be responsible for "saving the world," as she put it.

Courtney re-ignited my passion, and in turn, made me realize all my accomplishments, and failures alike, up until this point in my life. I have so much to learn and so many more opportunities that I have to look forward to. Courtney left me in a state of happiness, she left me inspired; I left that auditorium knowing that I want to make sure I'm as effective as possible.

Courtney left me with a quote, "Don't ask what the world needs, ask what makes you come alive," and I can't help but think that it's my passion; my drive for feminism, my understanding of myself in regards to women's studies and gender issues that make me alive. Feminism, and all that it encompasses, is my drive for life - my light.

If you're at all interested in her book, "Do It Anyway: The Next Generation of Activists," I would recommend checking it out. I can assure you that you wouldn't be disappointed.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree! Her presentation was absolutely phenomenal! I left feeling completely reinvigorated and ready to "save the world"...one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this moving write-up Jenna. It was awesome to meet you. Stay in touch!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna! I felt the same way! Like I finally found my calling-activism. (Which is what I have been doing my whole speaking life--and I am so excited to finally use what I learned last night in my one work.

    And oh my gosh, how nice that Courtney commented!!!

    ReplyDelete