Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I've caught you in your feminsim... (part 2)

... oh, yes I have.

This series is dedicated to the those who claim that they're not feminists, yet have feminists ideals. To those who want nothing to do with feminism, YET believe in the core principles of feminism. To those who are so determined to stay out feminism. To those that give me so much shit about being a feminist and for standing my ground on my beliefs. To those same people that secretly believe in the same equality that I do, even if they are completely oblivious to it.

This is my little, "HAHA" in your face for catching you in your feminism.


My male friend and I were texting and this is how it went:

Friend: Its quite interesting really, how much our federal government pays to make sure teachers teach only abstinence.

Me: I know, right?! Feminism. :)

Friend: What the fuck does that have to do with feminism?

Me: That's a part of feminism. I'm going to write about you in my blog now. (I'm awful, aren't I?)

Friend: That is not feminism. That's something about the public school system. It's not like it's taught to only girls, you dolt.

And the conversation stopped after that point because he is completely impossible. Why I chose to make him a part of this series is because comprehensive and holistic sexual education is a huge part of the feminist agenda, whether he thinks so or not.

Feminists have been fighting, and continue to do so, for every woman's right to choose. Feminists have made it a point to call out our government for the poor, and lack of, proper sexual education in our public school system. Personally, as a feminist, sexual education is one of the biggest issues I struggle with, and advocate for.

And he's right, abstinence-only sex education isn't just being taught to girls. Girls and boys, alike, are being subjected to false, inaccurate claims and "facts" regarding sexual health. This isn't just an issue about and for girls. Feminism, as defined by any dictionary, is basically the equality between genders, and don't worry, Friend, we aren't leaving the boys out on this one.

2 comments:

  1. Love it. I agree with you. Sex education is important to me too. My brother is a high school health teacher and I just love talking to him about his class and what he teaches. I'm always sending him things I find here and there that pertain to sex ed :) If only your Friend knew the feminist inside of him trying to bust free :D He should just accept it because as bell hooks says, "feminism is for everybody."

    ReplyDelete
  2. bahaha. I've never heard that definition of feminism before, is that sad? (equality between genders) perhaps i should read the dictionary more often.

    ReplyDelete