Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Interesting Finds

So, as finals approach I'm finding that I have less and less time to do the things I want (i.e. blog, sleep, keep my sanity... etc.). Once finals are over and I'm officially on summer break, I will be blogging at least twice a week (let's hope!), with a few possible summer projects coming your way. Keep your eyes on the look out.

In the time being, I figured I would share some of the interesting, feminist-minded (of course) finds I came across while stumbling through the interwebs. Sounds good, right?

Let's get to it.

Regarding the recent assassination of Osama bin Laden, I highly suggest you read this article written by Falguni Sheth, a guest blogger from Feministing. This article was very bold, interesting, and accurate, and to just give you a little taste:
"The assassination of Osama Bin Laden doesn’t signal a victory for Americans but rather a resounding alarm about the surreal state of affairs in which we Americans have landed, with President Obama at the helm, leading the charge to assassinate Americans and foreigners alike, and vicious beatings of all others who express dissent and stand in the way of the United States Government."
Also, there have been reports circulating that Osama bin Laden used his wife as a shield when the attack occurred, resulting in her death.

Jill, from Feministe, did a very sarcastic and comical write up in review to Rich Santos, writing a series titled, "Dating Diaries: Sex and the Single Guy," over at Marie Claire, and why he thinks sometimes, bitches be crazy.

Watch this heartfelt and thought-provoking video, made by Baratunde Thurston, in regards to the whole Obama birth certificate debacle:


And last, but certainly not least, I invite you to participate in my call to action. The magazine, Elle, recently conducted an interview with the pop-star Will.i.am, and in that interview, he stated that he doesn't like it when women have, or supply, their own condoms. And I quote:

ELLE: If you walked into a woman’s house, what one item would convince you that you weren’t compatible?

W: If she had condoms in her house, that would just fuckin’ throw me off. That’s just tacky.

Now, I never really was fond of Will.i.am and this statement of his really made me angry. Since when is it tacky that women are prepared for their sexual experiences? Never. Nonetheless, he is basically shaming women for keeping a common method of contraception and being prepared and educated. Will.i.am, not only is your name ridiculous and inconvenient to type, I'm calling you out on this - you are wrong and I don't appreciate your opinion.

So, to the call to action. As seen on Feministing, writer Mya gathered all of her condoms and placed them in a bowl and left them on her coffee table in the middle of her living room, for everyone and anyone to see. So, I invite to you do the same, I know I will be. I'm proud of being informed and educated about the different methods of contracption, and I feel a sense of empowerment being able to supply condoms - in the event that my partner should forget (and we all know that men have the attention span and mental capacity, sometimes, as a fly). Hehee.