Friday, May 6, 2011

International Feminism

Being a feminist means being open-minded, or relatively so. For a class assignment, we were to look at different feminist websites from different parts of the world.

The two websites I chose to look into were The F Word: Contemporary UK Feminism and Ultra Violet: Young Feminists on Life in Contemporary India. Now, I had never before heard of or visited these websites - but I wish I had.

The F Word website was really eye-catching and flashy. The first thing I saw when I entered the website was the F-Word blog, which I was excited to read. I loved it. The posts were relevant to most women and I read a really good find titled, "1 in 6 women would rather be blind than fat - so?"

Aside from their blog, their website offered many different outlets and resources for women (and men) interested in feminism. The website also had an "events" tab, which had the listing of the major feminist events going on in the surrounding areas in the UK. Too bad I live all the way over here, because most of them seemed like a great deal of fun!

The shop on the website had many different reading materials (all of which I'm totally interested in) that one could purchase just at the click of a button. The shop also sells DVDs, music, and poetry (among many others) that is inclusive to all feminists.

The other site, Ultra Violet: Indian Feminists Unplugged, wasn't necessarily as established as the previous website, but I was greeted with a "Coming of Age" story right as I stumbled onto the website. Very heartfelt and interesting story of a young woman's account with gender based inequality.

This website reminded me a lot of Feministing - a more blog-based website, and I didn't mind. The website/blog offered different subject topics, such as, Self, Art & Culture, Govt & Politics, Law & Institutions, Work & Economy, Relationships & Marriage, Media, Society, and Our Bodies. The website also offered different news stories, related to feminist politics, that gave a lot of insight into the kinds of issues and topics the feminists in India work with on a daily basis.

Overall, I believe that my favorite (being between these two sites) would be The F-Word, only because they offered more on their website than did the Indian based webpage. I believe that the internet is an important feature to feminism now and with these sites, both from different parts of the world, establishing and creating movement on the internet is the beginning to awareness of gender bias and gender discrimination.

No comments:

Post a Comment